...as several tens of thousands of refugees turn up from New Orleans. Last night I volunteered at the Astrodome for a few hours, sorting clothes that had been donated. The sheer scale of both the disaster and the response is quite amazing - at the Astrodome site, three camps have been set up, one in the dome, one in Reliant Arena, and one in the convention centre, and they each hold on the order of 10,000 people. But the response seems to be getting into shape. I was assigned to the convention centre, that was still being set up. The Red cross had set out 8000 or so cribs, food was being distributed, hundreds of people were dropping of donations of food, clothes, baby stuff etc. We were sorting clothes by gender, size etc. so they could be efficiently distributed.
I could only put in a few hours, but it was good to be part of the response rather than just being a passive observer of events on the TV.
Saturday, September 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment