...because so much is happening. Heather and I took Thursday and Friday morning off, thanks to the Grandparents excellent babysitting service. We took the train down to Winchester, and stayed in a very nice old coaching inn. Winchester is another of these English towns with 2000+ years of history visible if you just take a quick stroll around, from the roman walls to the mediaval halls and castles and cathedral to the 19th century brick houses. Quite amazing.
Once again, I experienced a certain frustration going around a cathedral that must have hundreds of visitors daily, and seems to be making very little effort to minister to them as the come. I wonder how much effort it would be to have communion available in one of the side-chapels, or a prayer and healing ministry in another? At the same time it's quite amazing to be in buildings that have been sites of worship and prayer virtually non-stop for 800 years.
The other big news is that I'm probably heading out to Houston for several weeks on a short term contract. This came pretty much out of the blue, but it's very gratifying, because the company in question seems to think very highly of both my credentials and the way I presented myself when we discussed the project on the phone. It's very nice being at the point where I'm desperate for someone to give me a job, but rather can consider myself a skilled and sought-after professional. The job involves data migration from a bunch of diverse sources using Python, and I'm quite looking forward to it. All that time I spent teaching myself Python and introducing it into my previous companies is about to pay off...
This morning we visited Christ Church Woking, a church I was involved with as a teenager. We'll go back again this evening for their 20-30's service.
Missing everyone back in Canada: John, Michael, Adam and their families and all the rest.
Sunday, August 14, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment