Monday, December 05, 2005

Morgan Family Travels - 19

Last week is a bit of a blur. Monday the girls and I spent down in Havant with Trevor's sister-in-law Kim and her children. The children actually spent the day with Grandma and Grandpa and Kim and I hemmed curtains for her lounge (living room).

Tuesday we had Hannah weighed and measured in anticipation of her Wednesday dietician's appointment. Neither appointment was wonderful, but nothing horrid either - just no real answers for the outstanding challenges, and as she'd been ill for a week and on antibiotics her system is still slightly confused and a little bit lighter as a result.

One afternoon last week we did a load of Christmas shopping, which was fun.

Over the weekend we participated in Moot weekend retreat. We were at a place called Carroty Wood and it was a very low-key relaxing sort of weekend. It gave us a good chance to see what the community was like, get a sense of their vision, successes and challenges, and have the chance to talk to each other some more in the continuing Trevor and Heather search for who we are, what we're doing, and what this trip means.

Some of the things we are thinking about include the following topics - anyone want to weigh in with their own ideas?

1. The question of 'How Do We Live By The Spirit?'
Some ideas include:
*it must be communal
*it includes the practice of the Spiritual Disciplines and the Rule of Life

2. The question of 'How Do WE Seek First The Kingdom?'
Some ideas include:
*it is communal at heart (therefore 'we' not 'I' in the question)
*God is triune, hence communal, and invites us to be part of that community
*communities have upper and lower maximums of effectiveness
*it can't be vague of half-hearted
*accepted, loved, not left where they are -- the Kingdom is a DYNAMIC SYSTEM
*always journeying
*the values of the system include: a place of system where those on the fringe are invited into the center; where the lost are sought at the expense of those whose position are known; it brings about inclusion; people have infinite value, even if we don't like them

3. The question of 'What Is The Purpose For The Community Of God?'
The only point we have written so far is:
*it expresses Kingdom values

Any additions, amendments, comments or lively debate are completely welcome!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! Thought I'd leave you a blog. Interesting how God seems to be runnign many of the same ideas through many of His kids heads. Community. Created for:)Have you read anything by Tom Sine. Am reading his 'Mustard Seed vs. MacWorld' right now. Maybe speaks to some dialogue you are working through.

Heather said...

Katy!!! Hello! Brilliant to see you, and yes, Community. Created for! Its one of those things that hasn't really stopped going through my head in eight years. Some things do stick. Haven't read Tom Sine yet, though I've heard of the book in question. I'll have a look the next time I'm in the Xn bookstore to see if I can find it.